Re: Chaos vs. Evil

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:41:55 +0100

 Morgan Conrad, quoting me :

>>Chaos is anti-nature. The world of Nature was created from the
>>precreated firmament, of which chaos is a manifestation. We should not
>>confuse creation from a thing with identity with that thing. Nature is
>>not a part of chaos, and chaos is not a part of nature. Corruption by
>>chaos is a degeneration into a precreated state, which is unnatural by
>>definition.
>
>First, other than the 3rd sentence, I have no idea what any of this means.
>Second, assuming I did know what this means, upon what facts, published
>Gloranthan mythology, or interpretations do you base these statements?

It's my understanding of what Greg means by chaos. It's based on my understanding of gloranthan myths mentioning chaos including the theyalan, dragonewt and godlearner creation myths. I'm also drawing on the essay on Nysalorian Illumination in Lords of Terror and the Lunar view of chaos.

It's also based on the Babylonian creation myth and beliefs about the nature of the world and what preceded it, which seems suspiciously similar to the earliest Gloranthan creation myths. Hmmmmm.

You won't find these opinions explicitly stated in this form in the Gloranthan corpus. After all if I could I'd just quote it instead of having to write it myself. But then, you could say that of most of the stuff posted to the digest.

Simon Hibbs