Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #521

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:10:59 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:55:21 +0000
> From: david.boatright_at_clinisis.co.uk
> Subject: Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #517
>
> >From anything I have seen this 'interesting experiment' is what is
> being played by the majority of RQ and Gloranthan players, it
> is yourself, and some undefined horde of gamers that you seem to
> personally know that are still stuck with RQ and Glorantha when it
> was hanging on the coat tails of AD&D. True enough though if all you
> want in a scenario is to go down into a hole filled with chaos
> monsters randomly generated from the chaos feature table then your
> narrow defination of playable cults is great, but as someone who
> managed to devleop past this in the last 10 years of gaming I find
> this hard to swallow.

You're confusing my reporting on my observations with my opinions on how things should be. I do not have a list of "playable" cults...they're all playable (basically playable, I should say...gotta avoid any absolutes whenever I say anything nowadays, y'know), if anybody wants to play them.

As far as "developing past this" goes, I'd appreciate it if you didn't take the extreme liberty of assuming how I GM or what my players are like. You'll note that I never mentioned "Chaos Rumbles". There are no munchkin players in my campaign, either, nor is there anything in that quote you listed that would justify your jumping to such a conclusion.

Let me nip this in the bud right now, because last year my oldest friend, Robert, inadvertantly made me the king of RQ2 throwbacks by proclaiming that I hate RQ3 (not really true, I'm fairly indifferent about it). Now I'm danger of having the labels "king of the dungeon crawl" and "king of the munchkins" also attached to me even though I have not ascribed to either...

I have embraced my fate as far as RQ2 goes, because there's a degree of truth there, but I won't accept the other two.

> I don't think that any one on this list has a problem with playing in
> this style, but please stop ramming it down are throats that this is
> the 'proper' to play RQ\Glorantha.

When did I say that this is the "proper" way to play Glorantha?

> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:42:33 +0100
> From: "Hibbs, Philip" <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
> Subject: RE: The Glorantha Digest V6 #517
>
> > I was also quite surprised to see this term used in ref. to Praxians.
> >Yes, but WHEN?
>
> Um, last week... I just never noticed the term before - to me, clans is
> Orlanthi. I have nothing against it, [quickly puts on 'bestos suit] it just
> surprised me, that's all. "Praxian clans" still sounds odd, though.

I'll say now what I said in one of my old threads...if there are people on the Digest, which represents by far the most rabid and best-informed Glorantha fans, who do not know something, then it is safe to assume that that knowledge is even scarcer elsewhere, eh?

> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:13:03 -0700
> From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
> Subject: Re: clans; math
>
> > you need to add the Skullmound Bison to your list though ;)...).
>
> What's the source for this? Or does the smiley indicate a joke I don't get?

Skullmound Shrine is home to a tribe/clan of Bison-riders in my campaign and about 3-4 other campaigns where it's become a fixture...so, yes, it's basically a joke you didn't get...sorry... :)

> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:12:47 +0100
> From: simonh_at_msi-uk.com (Simon Hibbs)
> Subject: It's History repeating.
>
> I've noticed a trend too :

Here's another trend you've missed (but I noticed the last time you did this):

In the waning days of a heated thread that is just starting to smooth over, Simon decides to weigh in belatedly with his two cents; largely in the form of personal attacks and perhaps a paragraph or two of points that have already been made in a more cogent fashion by someone else. He thinks he's really a stand-up guy by doing so, but in fact he's gone overboard and hurts the carefully established position of the people he's trying to support without even realizing it...

Predicted new trend:

Simon, who normally cuts and runs after his little surprise attacks, gets really annoyed when he gets a viscious little jab in return, and little of the "you go, girl" messages from his compatriots that he'd so hoped for...prompting him to further post tirades... ;)

Ok, to get serious here, the fact is that I cannot be the person you seem to be painting me as...if I were, clearly I would already gone into fits of all-caps-laden, profanity-strewn screaming by now. I will now point you to the additional facts that I (a) did not start this whole thread, other than by defending myself for a joke that I made, (b) tried to end it when it had gone too far.

BTW:
It has been pointed out to me outside this forum in my negotiations with my most dire enemies ;) that my posts seem to wander around in their focus, which leads to some misunderstandings since it's hard to pin down my real POV. This is certainly true and I'm happy to cop to it; however, this would seem to be at least partially the result of having to defend specific points one after the other in a fragmented fashion, until so many points have been picked over that I am forced to then write a summary of larger parts of my POV in order to explain how all the tidbits fit together. Ironically, the reason I don't expound upon my viewpoints further to begin with is that I don't think I have enough time, then I end up eating up more time because of it. That's why my '98 taxes are still sitting in this folder next to me, I guess...