Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #520

From: Morgan Conrad <mpc_at_coastside.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:24:11 -0700

Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com> writes:

>Morgan quotes Simon, and writes:
>
>>> Chaos is anti-nature. The world of Nature was created from the
>>> precreated firmament, of which chaos is a manifestation. We should
>>> not confuse creation from a thing with identity with that thing.
>>> Nature is not a part of chaos, and chaos is not a part of nature.
>>> Corruption by chaos is a degeneration into a precreated state,
>>> which is unnatural by definition.
>
>> First, other than the 3rd sentence, I have no idea what any of this means.
>
>OK, I'll try saying it again with smaller words. The world of Glorantha
>arose from Chaos, and nature only exists within the world. This does not
>mean that Chaos is natural: just because it's the source of a thing, doesn't
>make it that thing. When Chaos comes into the world, it is unnatural. All
>Chaotic things in the world are unnatural. And when things in the world are
>tainted by Chaos, they become unnatural. Being tainted by Chaos is never a
>"natural" process.

Thank you, I can understand these nice smaller words. But, being somewhat deliberately dense and pedantic for the sake of further knowledge, still disagree. Pretend I'm some smart-ass Freshman in Orlanth 101. (Glorantha for Dummies anyone?) :-)

Let me first point out that your words do not agree at all with Simon's. You say that Glorantha arose from chaos, he states that they are different manifestations of some other precreated state (which for some unknown reason is unnatural), with zero creative interaction. In fact, he implies that interactions with chaos are always destructive, never constructive.

Then you seem to say that nature only exists within Glorantha, which is patently false to all us here on Earth. (I really dislike your use of the term nature, which seems to actually mean "Glorantha" in your definition)

Then there's some weird distinction that Chaos is unnatural. If Glorantha == nature, and there's Chaos in Glorantha, then sorry, it's natural. Are you stating that the dragonsnail in front of my character is on some other plane of existance, not "of this world", so it can't hurt me?

>From what I've read, it was the Great Compromise decided that Chaos was
"not of the world". (e.g. CoT). However, this is pretty much like the gods decreeing that pi = 3. The Gods can say a thing, but that don't make it true. (I think is was Einstein who wondered if God "had a choice" in making the universe) If Chaos is "not of the world", why did so damn much of it survive the Compromise to eat my characters? :-)

Sincerely,
Morgan Conrad