Is Chaos Natural?

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:23:49 EDT

To which the actual answer is 'it depends what you mean by natural', which is probably the source of the misunderstanding. Anyway, the following is my interpretation, and we'll see how many people disagree with me :-)

Morgan Conrad:

<< Then you seem to say that nature only exists within Glorantha, which is
patently false to all us here on Earth. >>

     I don't see why. Unless you mean that the RW is obviously also 'natural', which is admittedly true but rather beyond the scope of the discussion, IMO.

<< Then there's some weird distinction that Chaos is unnatural. If Glorantha
== nature, and there's Chaos in Glorantha, then sorry, it's natural.>>

      This does not follow. Obviously, Chaos is natural in the sense that it isn't artificial, for example. However, in its 'natural' state, Chaos is outside of the universe, so when there is Chaos in Glorantha, that is unnatural. Furthermore, it tries to destroy the things that naturally are in the world, and to disrupt the natural processes that occur in the world. So, from the POV of anybody in Glorantha, chaos is pretty unnatural stuff. Metaphysically it may be natural, but it ain't supposed to be *here*, and that's what unnatural about it.

     Obviously, since the Compromise, Chaos has been permitted to exist within Glorantha, but I still don't think one can really call it natural, because compared to the genuinely natural state of Glorantha (i.e. the Golden Age) it shouldn't be here. I think we're quibbling over definitions.

<< Are you stating that the dragonsnail in front of my character is on some
other
 plane of existance, not "of this world", so it can't hurt me?>>

      No, the dragonsnail exists all right, but it isn't supposed to, and that's what's unnatural about it. Relative, that is, to the way to that the world would have been had the gods not mucked things up and let chaos in in the first place.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky