Consistency

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:23:46 EDT

Alexandre:

<<I think RQ*3* encourages community integration.>>

     Maybe so, but I believe you will find that HW does so even more. That's the idea, at least.

<< *Question*: will HW revise something (or someone) away? Or will HW's  Glorantha stay consistent with RQ's? >>

      Judging from discussions with 'experts', it is my understanding that the setting will be almost entirely consistent with that portrayed in RQ. Of course, contradictions of existing *campaigns* as opposed to previously published material are unavoidable whenever one provides new or expanded information. Anyone whose campaign visited Alkoth when the only information they had available on it was that in the Genertela Book will almost certainly find that their version is very different from the official one, for instance. But that sort of thing can't be helped, IMO.

     Also, the new rules system will inevitably force some contradictions, because some details will have to be changed to fit the new magic rules and so forth. But such changes will be minor; or so I would guess, it being difficult to tell without having seen the final version of the HW rules. I'd guess this is more likely to be along the lines of cult such-and-such having a slightly wider range of magics than we'd known about before, for instance, especially for cults which are currently rather limited, such as Mastakos. And some new cults will appear, some of which your PCs would logically have known about; this could be a little more irritating, but again I would *guess* that it won't happen a lot.

     Unsurprisingly, unofficial RQ material, such as that much of that in TotRM for example, will have no particularly sacred status. At times this is also likely to be rather irritating; for instance, anyone whose campaign has incorporated any of the Soviet-style material on the Lunar Empire from RMM (terms like 'Red Army' to take one minor example) will almost certainly find it contradicted in the Lunar Book.

     Finally, while consistency *between* HW products is a high priority, it has been strongly hinted that consistency with RQ supplements will be less so and previous material *may* sometimes be contradicted if the new authors think that the result will be more fun, more playable, more logical or whatever. That sort of thing won't happen much, as I understand it, but it will very probably happen on occaision. Hopefully with minor facts :-)

Forward the glorious... um... well, Lunar Army thingie

      Trotsky