RE: The Glorantha Digest V6 #522

From: Steven Barnes <SBarnes_at_brio.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:14:32 -0700

>From: Al Harrison <aharriso_at_coe.neu.edu>

>Maybe this problem of munchkin gamers is a peculiarly American thing.
>Maybe it has to do with a certain lack of imagination, or lack of
>education. I know I've played with bunches of minmaxers in my time. I've
>also been privileged to play with a very few true roleplayers.

The mind boggles... Considering Britian has blessed our shores with the gangrenous infection known as "Warhammer" (see also: "Exploding Ulerian Were-Hobbits") I must conclude that the phenomonon occurs elsewhere.

To clear up a few misconceptions:

The RQ2 style of play described by Brian and myself is not AD&D derived. RQ1 predates AD&D. We were still using the 3 book boxed set at the time.

I am not hugely bent out of shape by my Voralan character being Gregged, as it is sitting in a binder of unused RQ2 characters. In all likelyhood, none of them will ever be used again.

When my gaming group played in Prax, some of us went for Waha, since we got the awakened herd animal familiar. Others chose Storm Bull. (The min-maxing solution was probably to be an initiate of both cults) The main character of the campaign was a Stormbull, and spent long hours in roleplaying sessions concerned with the welfare of his tribe and family. We must have missed the section in Cults of Prax that said all Stormbull worshippers were socially disruptive morons.