Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #523

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:31:34 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 02:17:39 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
> Subject: Re: Biker Gangs, or Waha vs Storm Bull
>
> Well, the reason that certain cults are considered fairly one-dimensional
> is that the god is basically focused on one thing.

This *would* seem to follow, if you do happen to buy into that premise...

> There is only so much depth that a small cult can have. You don't get
> real depth in the marginal cults like Storm Bull, Babestor Gor, Black
> Fang, etc. You can't. How much depth and complexity can 50 people have?

Plenty, but in any case, there are 2 kinds of "people" in Glorantha, the game world...PCs/NPCs, and "other people". If we define NPC to mean anyone that PCs have significant interaction with or knowledge of, then we see that these "other people" therefore have no significant interaction with PCs. This puts them in the "backdrop" role, slightly more important than rocks and trees. The depth of the background is important, yes, but I believe that the depth of one PC or NPC is more important by far, and, stay with me now, that the collective depth of the PCs/NPCs as a group is what makes up the better part of "society" and social interactions *as it is relevent to a campaign* (any campaign). In fact, as I tried to get across with my Waha worshippers in the desert example, social interactions that do not involve PCs in some way do not, can not, be important. If you'll buy even a good chunk of this, along with the premise that there are more Stormbull PCs and NPCs in general than Waha PCs and NPCs, then you'll see what I'm saying. If Glorantha were reality, than Waha would be the most important cult in Prax; since Glorantha is a game world, IMO the cult that exerts the most influence on game settings is the most important.

> You can develop all sorts of interesting things in a storm bull game. But
> you can also do the same thing in a study of the Hells Angels. And like
> studying the Hells Angels will reveal somthing about America, Storm Bull
> will reveal something about Prax. But it is going to look like a really
> odd place if that is the only view you have.

I say this one more time in the vain hope that it will somehow stick this time: Stormbull is not the be-all/end-all in my campaign...it was an example I used because Nick mentioned Waha. If another place, or another god, were under discussion, I would have used a different example.

> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:36:03 +0100
> From: "Nick Brooke" <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
> Subject: Re: Storm Bull in Prax, etc.
>
> True, *until* the next Glorantha-based RPG comes out and the genre shifts.
> Then the dominant religion of Prax should get proper representation.
> Meanwhile, Waha is *still* more important within the social dynamics of a
> Praxian clan (band, group, family...).

Proper representation may still not get Waha over the hump...but if it does, I will not be unhappy.

> > 2. In the backdrop of Praxian society, Waha plays a more important and
> > dominant role. This backdrop provides atmosphere in which to create a
> > campaign.
>
> Agreed. Though describing this as "washed-out" is kinda misleading.
>
> > 3. The backdrop of Praxian society does not have as great an effect on
> > a campaign as the players themselves, where Stormbull dominates.
>
> As happens in your games, yes.

Ok, then, if you won't admit that Stormbull PCs and NPCs far outnumber Waha PCs and NPCs, at least admit that the number of Stormbull PCs and NPCs is way, way out of proportion to the percentages put forth as "average" numbers of cult membership per tribe (you can use the percentages in the back of Cults of Prax for each animal tribe, for example).

> > The way that people play it in their house campaigns *is* the true
> > Glorantha: it has to be. However it's being played (in the average/
> > typical campaign), that's the way it is...
>
> I sympathise, but I can't agree. Levelling Glorantha to an imagined lowest
> common denominator, then ignoring published Gloranthan background that
> disagrees, feels wrong to me. Accepting that there is (and should be)
> two-way feedback between Gloranthan authors and gamers is a completely diffe
> rent matter.

At the risk of starting a new debate, let me just say that on some level, I consider Glorantha to have become a communally developed world since the first Glorantha RPG products emerged (not the board game, mind you). Greg just happens to the be the most important collaborator :)...

> Oh, was I unclear? The scenario in question centres on a bunch of Orlanthi
> farmers (from the Greydog clan, naturally) going on the Stormwalk Mountain
> heroquest to learn how to tame the Storm Bullies who've been disrupting the
> good life in their village. Storm Bull characters needn't apply. Clan values
> rule. Here's a scenario that reflects that.

Ok, I walked into that one...should have been paying closer attention before biting. However, the basic point stands: there has been a certain tendency in the past to say that this or that is not "good gaming", then to publish scenarios that cater to it anyway. That was my point...let's not discuss it any further though, unless it's after all the other subthreads have withered away...sound good?

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #525