RE: Storm Bull, Chaos, genres

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:19:07 +0100

Steve wrote:

> We must have missed the section in Cults of Prax that said all
> Stormbull worshippers were socially disruptive morons.

The CoP writeup says, "Normal people consider all worshippers of this cult to be mindless brutes, barely human, certainly deranged, and absolutely dangerous. These opinions are correct."

As Greg never tires of saying, "You don't *have* to be stupid to join Storm Bull, but it helps!"

Alisander wrote:

> Proposition: Nature is defined by the Great Compromise.
> Chaos is part of the Compromise, for it *had* to be included for
> the Ritual to work properly. Thereby:
> Corollary: Chaos belongs to Nature.

The CoT history says, "One of the clear distinctions made in the Compromise is that chaos is not of the world." I suggest that Chaos is included in the Great Compromise in the same way Hitler was represented at the Yalta Conference.

> Chaos is in fact the driving, creative force of Nature.

The Introduction to Glorantha article on "The Nature of Chaos" says that "the living manifestations of chaos naturally parody the kinds of life of Glorantha, since they represent corruptions, perversions, or reorganizations of it." This is rather different to being a "driving creative force".

(As a Lunar, BTW, I would wholly endorse your views).

Brian wrote:

> Ok, then, if you won't admit that Stormbull PCs and NPCs far outnumber
> Waha PCs and NPCs...

When did I ever do this? I agree, of course, that far more PCs and NPCs follow Storm Bull than Waha in most published material and campaigns. Remember when I mentioned the number of hackers, assassins and spies turning up in Cyberpunk games, or professors, gangsters and detectives in Cthulhu? Same reason: we see distorted numbers because of the genre.

Now, if the genre shifts, whether impelled by playing styles (e.g. culturally based gaming) or game rules (e.g. getting away from combat as the be-all and end-all of role-playing), the numbers will shift, too. To take an extreme example, if lawsuits at tribal moots were more important (and enjoyable) than swordfights, I'd predict an increase in the number of Lhankor Mhy Lawspeakers and a decrease in the number of Humakti Swords appearing as PCs and NPCs. If leading your clan to wealth and glory becomes more central than bashing broos, Waha will rise while Storm Bull subside.

Of course this has *absolutely* no effect on the "actual" number of Lawspeakers, Swords, Khans and Bullies in Glorantha. (The clan lawspeakers are still there, even in a Storm Bull campaign. Nobody ever talks to them, is all). It just means that players are paying attention to different aspects of the world.

And an all-Voria campaign isn't a bad idea, come to that.

Regards, Nick