Is Chaos Natural?

From: Paul McDonald <kpaul_at_unity.ncsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:45:02 -0400

Hey all,

Ah! Pointless unprovable arguments! My specialty... ;) Note that the following is completely my individual opinion. Gloranthans are not of one mind on the "nature" of chaos, and the ultimate truth is all but unknowable to any denizen of the lozenge. This argument is, therefore, High Philosophy. Chaos and Order are less tangible things, and more esoteric ideals.

Glorantha has been described as a bubble of Order in an infinite ocean of Chaos. This seems to me to indicate that Chaos is unresolved potential - what might be. Glorantha
(and all other possible worlds) are individual examples of this potential that have
resolved into existence for a time. When the Unholy Trio brought Chaos into the world they broke the "surface tension" of the "bubble", and the existence that Gloranthan's thought of as "natural" began to desolve back into its original form - unresolved potential. The Compromise slapped a desperate bandage on the wound, but Chaos (the tendency for Existence to dissolve back into Potential) is still within the world.

Has anyone actually seen chaos? No. We see its affect. A dragonsnail is *affected* by chaos, but is not Chaos itself. It has existence, and is therefore also a child of Order. Chaos probably is a part of everything in Glorantha now (and perhaps always has been). This effect is Entropy, which presumably wasn't part of the pre-Chaos Glorantha
(or to a much lesser extent). Chaos is viewed as "evil" because it is most obviously,
tangibly, evident in things that tend to dissolve Order - be it physically, or within the minds of beings. I would think there should be a few examples of "good" chaos (by definition, anything is possible!), but what Gloranthans tend to identify as Chaos is the dissolving of Existence - which you must admit is a pretty severe problem, if not outright evil.

Sorry to consume more bandwidth on this, but I just couldn't resist! :)

Wisdom tells me I am nothing; love tells me I am everything. Between the two, my life flows. - Nisargadatta Maharaj