A big Humakti hello. *snik*

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:19:04 +0100 (BST)

Stephen Royle:
> My query concerns one of the players who wishes to join Humakt, he is an
> orphan and is sort of pre-destined to follow Humakt. Culturally, would the
> severance from his family /clan be total or could/would he still have ties?

One thing worth mentioning beyond the comments I've seen so far is that even if you sever kinship with a partular person, that in no way precludes you from dealing with that person, nor of forming _fresh_ association with him. After all, that's exactly what Humakt did with Orlanth.

(If as part of your Humakti initiatiion oath you choose to say "and never deal no more with Borni, a false traitor and kin to me no longer", this is a _slightly_ different matter, of course...)

> Would he be able to stay at the stead?

If he's a real stickler he might insist on exchanging the Greeting every time he came home (!), but yes. Once his initiation is finished he might end up staying at the chief's stead as a huscarl, though, for example, depending on what the social niche of Humakt in your Taralings is.

> Could/would he lose magic gained through just Orlanth or would he lose
> everything not from Humakt, I guess this depends on how complete a
> severance it is?

Yes, indeed. I think this would be a part of at-least-some Humakti initiations. OTOH, the average 15 year old probably doesn't know very much Orlathi magic, especially one pre-destined to join Humakt. (He may not have known this himself, but I'm sure he acted according anyway. And others from his clan will almost certainly have discerned this in advance -- that's part of the godi job description, after all...)

In game terms (either game), I think the most significant factor in this is loss of Orlanth "associate magic".

> Does the initiate usually choose or is it cultural, on how severe a
> severance it is.

I think the culture creates expectations, and on occassion, very strong ones, but in all but the most formalised of initiation processes, the initiate has quite a bit of freedom of choice. The cultural expectation is likely to impose more of 'minimum' than a 'maximum'. (You can always add 'riders', though how magically effective they are may depend in part whether they're 'the done thing' in your temple. Though conversely, doing 'em helps make 'em part of the Done Thing.)

> If anybody was at the last Convulsions,
> I played in the Life Of Moonson freeform, I was Roan-Ur and I was robbed.

Steve, you're a sick, sick, degenerate individual. An a very naughty boy! You'll be right at home here. Welcome.

Cheers,
Alex.