RE: Hero Wars artwork

From: NFranz197_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:02:21 EDT

In the Glorantha Digest #515, Tom Merchant wrote:

> If Hero Wars doesn't have design and artwork at least as good as the White
> Wolf line it will sink like a stone. It would be a shame for this project=20
to fail for the > sake of a decent art director and a half decent budget.

Well, let me add: My sentiment, exactly.

Many of the official RQ3 products suffered badly from poor artwork and=20 mediocre layout. A lot of things were certainly well-intentioned, but ...=20 well, I guess that was about it.
Today I see pics in fan publications such as "Tradetalk" and the "Ye Booke o= f=20
Tentacles" convention fundraiser that are about ten times as good as the=20 official stuff published by Avalon Hill. The pics in "Genertela, CotHW" are _okay_ (because they're atmospheric!), bu= t=20
the ones in "Elder Secrets" just SUCK!!
If I showed the artwork from "Elder Secrets" to my players as "standard", I'= d=20
get nothing but laughs, at best. They'd never take me seriously ever again. Okay, maybe I'm just exaggerating a bit there, but you know what I mean.

However, I got word from Andr=E9 (from the German RuneQuest-Gesellschaft) la= st=20
week that Issaries, Inc. is definately keeping an eye on the quality of the=20 new illustrations. He said that the HW introductory book is probably going t= o=20
have one decent picture every four pages or so, and the quality is likely to=20 be similar to the pics in the "Tradetalk" fanzine, or also in the "King of=20 Dragon Pass" computer game.
I tend to believe him, for now, since he is the head of a fan club, and has=20 participated in HW play-testing sessions both in the States and in Germany. Anyway, if HW is going to feature a distinctive style of illustrations at=20 least as good as the stuff in "Tradetalk", I'll be happy, and won't complain=20 anymore.

You can't stress enough how vital that special "look" and "feel" are for a=20 new RPG, especially if it's about to compete with everal long-established=20 fantasy lines.
It would indeed be a bummer if HW was in any way about to fold prematurely,=20 only because it didn't catch on for the lack of good art. According to what I read on the Issaries website, Greg Stafford has planned=20 the HW core books as only the _starting_ products of a huge line of new=20 supplements and merchandising, incl. miniatures, emblems, T-shirts, etc., so=20 I'd say that the initial few HW books have to be sure hits in order to set=20 the stage for what's to come.

Currently, I think it is really only White Wolf (maybe with WotC a close=20 second?) who have managed to put out a line of T-shirts and pins and stuff=20 that "tie in" nicely with their RPGs.
Okay, I know there's also Star Wars, but the Star Wars RPG isn't played by a= s=20
many fans as you might think it is.

Have fun,
Norbert
=20