Kethaela and MoLaD

From: arkat_at_telstra.easymail.com.au
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 00:58:26 +1000

Hi

After being advised that Easymail can't handle large mails, tests have prooved that there is no problem with the Digest, so ithomson_at_swin, and its complications has been replaced by Arkat (one of the false Arkats of course) :)

I'm writing my campaign way ahead and wanted to share some ideas of MGF that have evolved.

In my campaign the PCs who are of unclear allegiance will eventually be forced further and further West avoiding avenging locals and Lunar bounty hunters, and arrive in Kethaela. A rebel representative from Sartar will have been asked for help by a Kethaelan Pharoanic loyalist who is trying to discover what happened to the Pharoah and perhaps try and bring him back.

The rebel contact says:
"Well we can't spare any real heros, there's a rebellion going on! However there are these guys I know who need to get out of Sartar and have proved their loyalty and usefulness..." So the PCs head off into the Holy Country tracking down the returnees from the last (1616) MoLaD (It will be 1620/21 in my campaign)
(In my version of Glorantha the MoLaD was held every 7-12 years because the Pharoah aged about three times faster than normal.)

So the PCs have to travel Kethaela to various parts and seek these survivors, hindered by a secret Lunar assassination squad who are looking for the same people for more sinister reasons, and shadowed by a bunch of Shadow Plateau trolls who just want to see whats going on, and are in the paradox of preferring the Pharoah to the Lunars but wanting the Only Old One back! I envisage each country will be visited at least once, and also the Skyreach Mts. (good place for weird and dangerous stuff)

Eventually they get enough info to find out a bit about what happened and somehow (still work in progress) find out how to initiate a new MoLaD (probably aided by a Kethaelan hero and/or some powerful magical item), and must travel to the City of Wonders. There they initiate the MoLaD initial ceremony and transport themselves onto the magical plane where the Tournament took place, accompanied by the hero who plans to become the new host for the Pharoah.

However what they find is not what they expect, time runs differently here, and for the magical land it has been centuries since the Pharoah disappeared. Deprived of the direct influence of its creator it has reverted to ruins and desert, and its inhabitants have become base nomads, living on the myths and memories of the greatness of their land. Here the myths have become twisted and the PCs must travel through a bizarre and dangerous land seeking clues as to the Pharoah.
(In case you didn't spot it this owes quite something to my experiences running a couple of Campaigns in the Cthulhic Dreamlands)

Eventually they find a major city ruin that is now at the centre of a desert. The only standing building is an unreasonably massive pyramid. The local nomad fanatics protect it from all foreigners, and their legends say that the Pharoah's spirit is inside.
(This is largely inspired by one of the few D&D modules I really liked)
So they must fight/sneak their way to the Pyramid, and find the secret entrance. Once inside its a cross between Eygptian (oops I mean kethaelan) mythology and Lunar, they must fight Lunar guardians and escape Lunar traps in this building that was originally devised by the Pharoah as the heart of the MoLaD Tournament, and make their way to its centre.

Here the Red Guard have imprisoned the Pharoah's Spirit in a small but luxurious palace from which he cannot escape. The idea I have at the moment is that he is trapped in a time loop and as far as he is concerned he is awaiting the arrival of the Champion so that he will reincarnate again. (He has been made to forget the ambush by the Red Guards, which could have been the equivalent of a surprise karate blow to the neck) So the PCs must break in and pursuade him that all is not well, and he does switchies with the Kethaelan Hero and returns to the 'real world'. The PCs stay there long enough to see the beginning of life returning to the magical kingdom.

Of course if the Pharoah must NOT return to your Glorantha, the PCs may be unable to return him to the real world, but still free him in the mystic land so that it can be healed (sense of accomplihsment and all that) And of course he can give them advice/magic to help against the Lunars.

waddya reckon

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #532