Clarifications

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_telia.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 13:15:45 +0200

Steve Lieb

>Some people prefer roleplaying in which their characters actions are
>the real world is subordinate to dramatic action.

The 'real-world randomness' of Glorantha helps make the action of HW dramatic; it isn't any more subordinate than in RQ.

>I personally find plenty of suspense, excitement and
>drama in wondering "I have an 85% chance to hit, he has a pretty good
>parry, and I have to do 17 hp to him NOW, because in 4 SR his buddy's
>Killer-Spell-o-Death is going to hit me, and my POW of 6 won't hold up
>against his which must be at least 16." It's numbers-heavy, and detail
>heavy, but I like it.

Would you call the above 'roleplaying in which their characters actions are responses to the real world'? To me it seems that the actions are responses to rules and numbers.

I could also find plenty of suspense, excitement and drama in a situation where I have limited time to whack a formidable opponent before his buddy whack me with a Killer-Spell-o-Death. *If* i don't have to divert my attention to time-consuming number-crunching.

>WHOA! Let me requote that: "combat situations shouldn't be an exercise in
>tactics and strategy" - HUH? Yes, I believe that is a /very/ good
>illustration of where we part company. (Shaking head....wow.)

Sorry, really bad phrasing on my part. Roleplaying combat situations shouldn't be an exercise in tactics and strategy based on out-of-character number-crunching. Characters who are good tacticians should of course plan strategies and tacitics, and characters who aren't tactically or strategically inclined should be allowed to make bad decisions.