Re: Sunshine Avatar

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 18:39:06 EDT

Mikael:

<< HW is different from RQ, sure, but not on any paradigm-shift level.>>

      OTOH, the Issaries people having been claiming at conventions etc. that HW *is* a paradigm shift from RQ. I felt at the time they were probably exaggerating :-)

<< HW is designed for creating dramatic action and a sense of adventure. RQ
was
 designed for realistic simulation (and, as all such endeavours must, failing at it, IMO).>>

     This seems to imply that HW is unrealistic, and/or that a system cannot be both realistic and dramatic. Is that a fair summary of your position?

     Judging from this thread (and previous similar ones) it seems that a number of RQ fans have got the impression that HW is indeed 'unrealistic' or 'cinematic' or whatever, and that's what they're concerned about. In fact, I suspect that this is not an entirely accurate portrayal of the system, which I'd imagine is realistic-but-quick where RQ is realistic-and-detailed - though not as detailed as some I could name!

<< And when it comes to 'community integration' and handling of social
situations, well, RQ don't have much of that, has it?>>

      Somebody did claim quite the reverse with regard to the first point, although personally I'm sure HW has a damn sight more. As for social situations, it doesn't suit my gamestyle to have dice rolls for that, although I know many disagree. IMO, having social rules that resemble the combat rules of a game is almost too hideous to contemplate, no matter how good they are :-)

<< That's my opinion anyway. HW is a spanking good game for adventuring in
Glorantha, and hopefully all HW-sceptics and RQ-fanatics will come to realize that too.>>

     A pretty vain hope, I fear. It would require everyone to have the same tastes in gaming, which is evidently a false proposition. Personally, I'm pretty confident that I won't use the HW system, although I'll certainly pinch bits of it for my own Gloranthan gaming. That doesn't mean I think its a bad system, just that what I've heard doesn't appeal to me; fortunately I suspect I'm in a minority potential-new-converts-wise so I'm not too worried by that.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky