Terminology-fest.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 00:50:22 +0100 (BST)

Morgan Conrad:
> Seems to me that Simon and Nick (and perhaps others) use the term "nature"
> to mean "Glorantha in the Golden Age".

Not quite, as there was no Chaos in 'Gloranthan nature' any time before the Chaos Age (in Orlanthi reckoning), so this would include the Green Age and the Storm Age also. And it still applies to everything in the created world other than manifest chaos, yea, even unto this very day.

> Allow me to suggest that somehow we
> *DO* find a better term for that - Glorantha Law ain't that bad.

Far from great, though, unless one is happy to say that a Dragonsnail is 99% "Law"... (Which is in a sense arguably true, but certainly counter-intuitive.)

> Given this, does that mean Orlanth is an enemy of nature? :-)

In the Dara Happan view, yes. (Though they wouldn't use exactly that terminology).

> I suggest that you run Lunar characters. We have, and it's very
> fascinating to consider their reactions to Chaos, Enlightenment

I have an uncanny feeling I'm repeating myself (not, admittedly, an especially unusual occurrence), but I am forced to (re-)quibble that 'Enlightenment' is not, AFAIK, any sort of Lunar or Pelorian term. Such references as I'm aware of imply that it's applicable in the eastern context (cf. Metsyla). To what degree 'Enlightenment' and 'Illumination' might resemble each other is an Interesting Question. At any rate, it seems inadvisable to use them interchangeably.

Incidently, you can consider it a pretty safe bet that 'Enlightenment' is not the _only_ Eastern mystical tradition.

Slan,
Alex.