More Jaldon

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 06:15:55 EDT

Peter on Jaldon:-
 (incidentally, thanks for showing an interest in one of my favourite Gloranthans)

<< Jaldon is a hero who appears in many generations. During one of those
 appearances, he went east, saw the vision of perfect teeth etc. My  guess is that this occured during his _first_ and formative incarnation  which took place before 940. >>

You could be right here Peter although you must admit that either date is possible. I personally prefer a 940's Dental revelation but am easily persuaded.

<< A 'normal hero' is an oxymoron.>>

I think you're probably right again here. What I meant by 'normal hero' was a barbarian hero like Conan, like Kothar, like King Kull, like Thongor . All these guys are extremely similar - they are 'normal' in that they are all the same - violent, womanising (except Kull), mighty thewed, bad haircuts. Jaldon is a crazed mystic with weird abilities. This was the 'not-normal' I was trying to convey. He is more like Sheng Seleris is this respect, and there are parallels between the two great Nomad Warlords. Parallels which, I admit, I am trying to strengthen.

<< So after much searching they awakened Jaldon.
  Admittedly it would seem rather strange for the Praxians  if their promised avatar-cum-mad mullah that they spent  so much effort in reawkening simply buggered off to Kralorela  for several years instead of helping them defeat Pavis.>>

Heroes should never do exactly what is expected of them. I think the Sable Ceremony might have been thought of after Jaldon returned from the East. "Oh yes, we did a ceremony six years ago and now, here is the result back from the East."

 Keith N