And your idea of storytelling is... ?

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_telia.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 16:10:25 +0200

Brian:
>Storytold combat is utterly worthless.

You don't find it more realistic and intuitive to know that you broke your leg in the fall, instead of being told that your armour stopped 6 pts of damage, but that 10 pts still got through to your leg?

I like to know what happens to my character; what happens on the character sheet is quite secondary.

What do you think a storytelling game-style is, anyway? Rules-free dice-less make-believe?

>The typical ploy, eh, to take anyone who prefers a few actual rules and
>label them simulationists or wargamers?

Grow up, Brian. Respond to what i write, and not your own misconceptions about storytelling game-styles.

I haven't called anyone a simulationist or a wargamer (i did call Steve Lieb a *ruleplayer*, which is a quite other thing). Nor have i advocated that fewer rules or no rules at all is good thing. I like rules and game mechanics that are geared towards the experience of the game-world, instead of obstructing that experince. It's quite irrelevant whether the rules are few or many.

Lest i be accused of that too, i'd also like to say that i abhor dice-less gaming.

>Hard is it may be to believe,
>there are lots of people who don't want to play in a game world where
>combat consists of 20 people swinging from chandeliers Errol Flynn-style,
>with nobody on the ground actually fighting... ;)

Hard as it may be for you to believe, i'm one of them.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #534