Re : Mikael shows how far apart we really are...

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:25:37 +0100

Steve Lieb :

>>book, and that the mechanics primarily aim to create a sense of drama and
>>adventure instead of 'realistically' simulating actions and situations in
>>the game world.....

>But that's the point. (He should perhaps have said "numbers-lite vs.
>numbers-heavy".) I personally find plenty of suspense, excitement and
>drama in wondering "I have an 85% chance to hit,,.... etc.

I think both of you are missing the point. Yes the RQ game and magic systems are a great fun, dramatic set of game rules for combat (IMHO). They are however extremely rudimentary when it comes to debating in a war council, or negotiating a treaty, or trading with the Uz, or gambling in Cassino Town, etc. Hero Wars gives dramatic game mechanics that are immediately usable for these situations too.

You could argue that these situations can be run dramaticaly without rules mechanics, and they can, but then you can just as well play games of dramatic hand to hand combat and derring do using Amber Diceless. So why use either RQ or Hero Wars?

Answer - It's a matter of personal preference.

I like RQ and I fully expect to be running RQ/Elric games for years to come, but I can also see the advantages Hero wars has to offer. I'm perfectly prepared to use whichever rules best support the particular type of game I want to run.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #536