Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #529

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:16:55 -0700 (PDT)

> >> Of course this has *absolutely* no effect on the "actual" number of
> >> Lawspeakers, Swords, Khans and Bullies in Glorantha.
>
> > Ok, ok. But as you know, my response to that would be: "How can you have
> > an 'actual' number of anything in something that doesn't 'actually' exist?
> > The only important number is how many interact with PCs..."
>
> I am surprised you forgot the Smiley after that sentence. With it, it would
> be a nice piece of self-deprecating humour. Without it, it is an inane and
> fatuous cop-out.

The term cop-out implies to me that you think I've somehow grabbed hold of anything useful and flung it into the path of your righteous fury, to save myself. Since my point was just one echoed from what I've been saying all along, I don't see that cop-out applies...as for the 2 more insulting adjectives, I'll ignore those this week because I don't want to get back into the whole mess. I had thought up yet another way to illustrate what I'm saying, with some graphed out unions and sets to discuss what's important and what isn't, but frankly I don't the energy to type it all up :).

What the bottom line seems to be is that my school of thought considers what the PCs and NPCs are doing to be so much more important to a campaign that everything else pales into the background, where your school of thought does not (this is what I know; now here's what I assume:...), your's seems to give higher importance to the background itself, and the impact the PCs and NPCs have on it. I would venture to say that this POV may lead eventually to a not-unknown mindset where the need to accumulate detailed knowledge of the fictional gameworld starts to outweigh the desire to actually run games in it. Not in your case, naturally, but it could happen to others whose feet aren't as firmly attached to the ground :).