Re: Sunshine Avatar

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:42:08 EDT

Mikael (snipping the bits I agree with or which are simply a matter of personal taste):

<< >IMO, having social rules that resemble the
>combat rules of a game is almost too hideous to contemplate, no matter how
>good they are :-)

 Actually, it's the other way around. Combat uses the same mechanics as every other type of contest.>>

     A rather semantic quibble, no? It certainly doesn't change my opinion :-)

 <<>Personally, I'm >pretty confident that I won't use the HW system, although I'll certainly >pinch bits of it for my own Gloranthan gaming. That doesn't mean I think its >a bad system, just that what I've heard doesn't appeal to me; fortunately I
>suspect I'm in a minority potential-new-converts-wise so I'm not too
worried >by that.

 I wonder how many of the playtesters who have the complete drafts still prefer RQ to HW. I doubt there's many.>>

     I suspect there may be some (I *think* Michael Cule expressed such an opinion, although it was a while ago, so I could be wrong). However, I believe if you re-read my posts you'll notice that I've never said RQ is better than HW. I'm with Alex: they're both worthy but flawed, IMO.

Tom Merchant:

<< Can Hero Wars simulate people being crap - like they are in the real world?>>

     Well, I'm sure it can, in the sense that you could just give PCs low skill levels (e.g. 16/4, if I understand the jargon) rather than what you're supposed to give them. The question I'm rather more concerned about is whether or not it *will*. As a for instance, the early drafts apparently didn't allow for the possibility of starting play as an initiate; all the keywords referred to rune-level types - hopefully this has been fixed now. Sure, even if it hasn't, you'll be able to extrapolate low level character generation from the rules provided for Storm Voices and what-not, but will the support material be useful for such a campaign (there's a good chance it will, in all fairness) and perhaps most importantly, will there be published scenarios for such characters? Of course, under the circumstances, it would be wrong to expect all, or even most, published scenarios to fit an initiate-level campaign, but I strongly believe there ought to be some, and the potential absence thereof is the greatest concern I have about HW at this time. Hopefully someone in the know will be able to take this particular weight off my mind :-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky