Malian dilemas and a scenario

From: Dougie <dougiepunk_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:02:53 +0100

Alisanders scenario

>On the way, they meet a depressed Storm Bull initiate
>that went to the village and fought with the Broos who live amongst the
>villagers. He was defeated and impregnated

"depressed"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any self respecting Stormbull I've ever met
would have long ago had a head banging sesh if his own axe!

I agree with Loren that any sane Satarite would think the healer a complete friutcake. The only cure for a bunch of villagers who are so into chaos that they let broos live amoung them, is to send in a pack of psychotic beserked up Stormbulls.

BTW I think that malia worship does have possibilities if you want to look at moral ambiguity. I cant really see many situations where villagers openly consort with broos (if any such where discovered everyone who could pick up an axe for miles around would be clamouring to help cleanse the place) - Malias influence is much more subtle - just look at C/LoT.

A scenario could go like: there is a reported increase in attacks by feral broos in an isolated part of the tribal lands so the Cheif sends some of his huscarls (the PC's) to investigate.
Once in the affected area the locals are pleased to see them - they have been scared shitless by all thes broo attacks. Cue some broo hunts - the broo are feral types, poorly organised and equiped but suprisingly magically powerful (Stormbulls and huscarls used to sorting out this sort of problem on tribal lands should pick up on this point after a bit). Howevever, no matter how many broos they kill,
another pack soon turns up.
Cue some more clues eg. the rude health of the locals (especialy in light of the number of broos in the area), any local records - a spate of deseases plagued the place about a year ago, untill the Chalana Arroy temple sent their star pupil, a young CA preistess who has seemed very efficient at solving the problem (in fact this preistess has been very helpfull to the PC's, accompanying them one their broo hunts to provide healing ect - if you really want to go for it, the prestess is very pretty and hopefully one of the PC's will shagging her).
The PC's should end up finding out the whole story. The young preistess, on arriving in the area, found that she could not cope with the disease problem - her charges where dying around her! Racked by guilt (but also, being somewhat ambitious, not wanting to admit her failure to the CA temple), she had a dream. Malia came to her and told her the propriety rituals she would need. The preistess then taught these rituals to the local people who, when their children where dying, needed little persuasion to accept them. Everything seemed well for a while and the illnesses went away. Then the broos came.
Both the preistess and the locals have guessed that their propietry worship of malia might be to blame for this but have been to scarred to admit it. Cue moral dilema for PC's - both regarding what to do with the fearful villagers and the preistess (all of whom are extremely repentant). The tribal cheif is rabidly anti-chaos so if the PC's try to fob the moral delema by simply reporting the facts, they will be responsible for everyones execution (of course not to do so would conflict with their duty as huscarls).
If they want to try and save the locals, the CA temple might be persuaded to either intercede with the cheif (might work - you never know - even if this succeeds in saving the locals, the preistess is doomed) or even send in their own "troops" (CA healers) behind the cheifs back to convert the locals back to the right way and protect them them from Malian retribution. What to do with the preistess? The CA temple will have no objection the PC's executing her (or at least their protests will be very muted). If the PC's want to let her go, the CA temple will have to send her away (probably to cleanse chaos somewhere very dangerous). Or the PC's could try to force the locals to recant their ways without telling anyone else. The locals are reluctant to do this because they fear reprisals from Malia - intimidation and public executions are order of the day here (cruel to be kind?). Or the PC's could just leave the locals to their benighted ways - after all, they're suffering the most from their own actions (this would leave chaos still being strenthened through worship tho').
When all the moral debate is over and the propietry worhip suppressed (asuming it is), there's still some (now weakened) broos out there to bash :)

Oops, I haddened actually meant to write a whole scenario outline, but there you go. Hope you like it!

Dougie

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #539