Re: Chaos is boring

From: Sergio Mascarenhas de Almeida <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:59:16 +0100

Neil:
> Orlanth broke the world, and almost destroyed it. When he
> fixed it, it was different from before. Who needs chaos?

This is only a quote from a long argument that goes back to the above.

I would put it this way: who needs moral and ethical shades in Glorantha? Surely I don't. I account to all those shades and absence of an absolute point of view here in the RW.
What I like about Glorantha is that there I can play a situation where there is an absolute POV on moral and ethical issues. That's one of the big appeals of the game world. Drop chaos, and you drop this. When gaming I don't want to have endless discussions on whether it is right or wrong to do this or that. I have enough of these in my RW life. Playing is an escapist activity where I can, for once, have a strong base on the way I (my PCs) act.

Of course, there may be people that have absolute POV on issues on our RW, POV they dare not challenge. Those people may precisely want to roleplay situations where they lack such a strong moral and ethical basies. For such people (I'm not implying you are one of those, Neil) chaos may be distracting.

On the overall, it's better to keep chaos, since it's easier for people to drop it, than for other people to introduce it. And because chaos has been part of Glorantha since the start. It's a major change to drop it than to keep it.

Sergio