Re: Stereotyped Storm Bulls

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:59:35 +0100

Sergio Mascarenhas de Almeida (apparently, strenuously agreeing with me):

>Simon:
>> The Storm Bull cult is a culturaly acceptable home for pathologicaly
>> violent thugs. Praxian and Sartarite society have a place for such
>> people in the wider scheme of things.

>Do you really think that Praxians have such a system of social
>classification that it includes a marginal fringe of the society that can
>be called in RW terms pathologicaly violent thugs?

I don't think they have a formal social theory, but they do have social classes and a culture which includes many social roles. The Storm Bull cult is one of them. Of course under most circumstances in peacefull times these guys are a pain in the arse, but every now and then they're exactly the guys you need on your side. Compare and contrast the Urox and Urain cults for examples of acceptable and unacceptable violent thuggery. Both are described on the Chaosium web page.

>IMO that's completely wrong. First, those *pathologicaly violent thugs* may
>be exactly the members of society that ensure the survival and prosperity
>of the tribe.

Absolutely, they can be very handy to have around, which is exactly what I'm saying. This is exactly the 'place... in the wider scheme of things' that I'm talking about. What did you think I meant?

> ......Just as in the RW where Attila, Tamerlan, Gengis Can. ....

In fact Attila and Genghis were both very astute political leaders, both born into the nobility of their culture. They were certainly ruthless and even sadistic, but not realy Storm Bull material IMHO.
>Second, the worst thing to do to *pathologicaly violent thugs* would be to
>put them in a 'getto', all toghether, and uncontroled.

They are not uncontrolled, they are bound together as a social unit by the cult, which also gives them a mission in life - killing chaos, which is a valuable role for them to fill, as we seem to agree.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #541