Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #538

From: Al Harrison <aharriso_at_coe.neu.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:51:47 -0400 (EDT)

Mikael
- ------

I like your description of HW.

Dougie
- ------

I think I'll run that scenario next time I can get a gaming group together. It could be a good intro to Glorantha (nothing like starting the story "in the middle").

Tickler
- -------

I think what Mikael, and I myself, have been complaining about, is the tendency of many players to focus on numbers (simulation) rather than character actions (situation). It seems like most of the people on this list [pick one] have never seen this problem; have seen this but don't suffer from it and don't care about it; suffer from it and therefore don't realize that it exists.

Scenario

The "Cold Wind" is trying to drive the Lunars out of Tarsh, in order to cut the supply lines of invasion into Sartar. Their tactics include the assassination of constables, the intimidation of Lunar loyalists, banditry on merchants supplying Lunar garrisons, and selected arsons in Lunar-controlled towns and villages.

The PCs are residents of a village in the border region between Tarsh and Sartar. They are fairly law-abiding Orlanthis. They are approached both by Cold Wind recruiters bearing tales of Lunar crucifixion torture & oppression, and by Lunar constables seeking information to aid their suppression of banditry and insurrection.

The Cold Wind wants new recruits to prove their loyalty by driving out the Imperialist garrison in a neighboring village. The garrison generally enforces Lunar taxes and civil laws, but is also known for its highly-effective campaigns against broos and bandits and for its assistance with maintenance of trade routes (bridges, fords, & roads). Recently, the garrison decimated a particular bandit group closely linked to the Cold Wind. A couple distant relatives of the PCs were members of the group, and may or may not have been killed at the GM's option.

The Cold Wind appeals to tribal patriotism; the Lunars offer peaceful government but oppress the (minority) religion of the PCs. What should PCs do, for their own interests? How about the interests of their Lunar-Way neighbors -- with whom they have previously had good relations?

[I apologize for cribbing off world events; on the other hand, this scenario should make for particularly interesting roleplaying at the present time.]

Al Harrison
geocities.com/Paris/Tower/9143
harrisona_at_asme.org