Storytelling systmes

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:47:49 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/99 1:16:44PM, you write:

<<
 I suspect your going to get a lot of:

  "Mark, what do you do?"
  "I use my combat magic, 5 points, and score a standard success."
  "Ok, he fails. You get 5, he takes 10 points.  OK, Steve, what do you
 do?"

I have to agree that this is a danger but I can see no real way around this. Unless you reward people for their great descriptions (ie judging their 'literary' merit) it would tend to a catalog of numbers and points. I think the advantage of HW is the brevity of the mechanism - if it took ages to 'do ' the numbers (like it does in RQ) then no one will decribe every sword swing - - it would take to long. If every dramatic event has a time allocated to it dtermined by it's importance (as can be done in HW) then people will have more enthusiasm for it.

Keith N