Re: HW, Story Telling and Good Ol' Bad Ol' RQ

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_chaosium.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:30:26 -0700

>>whether or not it *will*. As a for instance, the early drafts apparently
>>didn't allow for the possibility of starting play as an initiate; all the
>>keywords referred to rune-level types
>
>This does REALLY not bode well at all. IMG after many sessions of play 1 (of
>6) Characters has finally acheived INITIATE level. The idea of game that
>only really supports characters who are so far above the norm as to be
>superpowerfull is truely horrible. It's the whole reason I and many others

The keywords were just words, not power-levels, and they never meant rune-level types. Characters will no more start out as powerful heroes in HW than in RQ or D&D. Yes, you can start higher, but you can in RQ and AD&D too. You can also start lower. The choice is yours. HW should support all levels of play.

Eric Rowe
Wizard's Attic