Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #544

From: Morgan Conrad <mpc_at_coastside.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:53:20 -0700

>From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
>Subject: Re: Nature Vs Chaos
>
>Morgan Conrad:
>> Chaos is in the world now, brought there by the actions of the Gods, just
>> like rain and storm and a moving sun are now in the world.
- -..
>> Any distinction
>> between one as "natural" and one as "unnatural" is completely arbitrary.
>
>No, not at all. Chaos is of extra-natural origins; the sun and storm
>are of natural origins. In this context, perhaps the best understanding
>of what's intended by 'nature' is 'the created world'.

(see comments below)

"Nick Brooke" <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com> writes:

>How on earth you can read the CoT and ItG sections and come out with this
>understanding baffles me. I suspect you are not even trying.

First, let's examine how the middle air came into the world

"Umath's first recorded activity was to demand a realm of his own to be equal to those of his parents. When none was available, Umath made one for himself by ripping asunder his father and mother. Thus the sky was separated from the earth forever. This primal violence set the pattern for the children of Umath as well."

Next, let's examine how chaos came

"The Unholy Trio made the end of the world. They wove a great magical ritual of potency far greater than anything before accomplished, for they had discovered the wonder and power of primal chaos, and used it magically to strengthen themselves for what was to come. They then engaged in their rituals of chaos-birth. When it was done, the world was changed, and new forces roamed the world."

Strip away the fluff, and essentially the tale is the same - "a god did something, the world changed, and a new entity, X, appeared". And BTW, the Unholy Trio are clearly described as *gods* who were taught by Rashoran.

My question remains - why is chaos "unnatural" and "middle air" natural?

Anyway, I suspect that this discussion is nearing futility, as you guys repeatedly semi-flame that I am some argumentative idiot who isn't even trying to understand. Maybe I'm taking too much of a holistic, Taoist approach to the metaphysics, but, to me, your approach has plenty of holes.

Morgan