Hero Wars & Storytelling

From: Neil Robinson <neil_at_edeninc.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:12:30 -0700

There has been a lot of discussion about HW being a 'story-telling' game and RQ not begin one. Personally, I think people are really mixing up definitions of gaming style with the rules. The game with the most 'story-telling' that I ever played in was an RQ game, and Jeff Richard's HW game is more of a 'cause & effect' game with a lot of depth, local colour, and realistic NPCs.

HW provides a common mechanism for dealing with combat and social confrontations, and I like that. It means that a rugged Orlanthi warrior can get effectively shamed by a sharp-tongued Ernaldan, and having a well-rounded character is more important. Climactic 'battles' can now be easily done between dueling lawspeakers working out who has to pay a wereguild instead of just thumping a bigger enemy. If you want to thump broo, feel free. I don't think that the combat in the SFC games has gone down with HW, and may have actually increased.

Do I like HW? Yes, very much, but I would be willing to play a good game in RQ as well. The GM is far more important than the rules system anyway. The real benefit of HW will be the Gloranthan nuggets it provides and the cultural depth. The game is very well integrated into Glorantha. With luck it can show how Storm Bulls fit in Orlanthi society (hired-thugs and weapons-thanes mainly) too.

David Dunham said:
>I'm amused by the number of people who say they'll use parts of it with
>RuneQuest. I don't think this will be apples and oranges, where you can
>just make fruit salad.

I disagree. You can definately graft on many HW concepts into the RQ rules if you like - RQ supports tinkering well, as does HW.

Neil
NA MegaCorp Rep (with 1 copy of QL 2 left) neilr_at_wolfenet.com