Initiate Wars

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:42:29 EDT

Eric Rowe:

<< >>whether or not it *will*. As a for instance, the early drafts apparently
>>didn't allow for the possibility of starting play as an initiate; all the
>>keywords referred to rune-level types
>
>This does REALLY not bode well at all. IMG after many sessions of play 1 (of
>6) Characters has finally acheived INITIATE level. The idea of game that
>only really supports characters who are so far above the norm as to be
>superpowerfull is truely horrible. It's the whole reason I and many others

 The keywords were just words, not power-levels, and they never meant rune-level types.>>

      In fact, I specifically asked whether this were the case some time last year, and was told by the playtesters (notably Dave Dunham IIRC) that this was *not* so, although one could easily convert HW to such gaming if one wanted - as I've already noted, its a real doddle to do so. If the intent of the system been changed since (or, for that matter, they were wrong) then great. Although you have to admit, surely, that having the keyword 'Storm Voice' would tend to imply that one is, in fact, a Storm Voice. It seems the terminology is confusing, not to say innaccurate - unless they've changed it since, of course, and added 'Initiate of Orlanth Thunderous' type keywords or some such. But even if they haven't... hey, I can live with it :-)

<< Characters will no more start out as powerful heroes in HW than in RQ or D&D. Yes, you can start higher, but you can in RQ and AD&D too. You can also start lower. The choice is yours.>>

     Sure, as you say, that's true in any system.

<< HW should support all levels of play.>>

     Support how, though? As I said before, its not just the mechanics that are important here. I notice nobody has answered my question about the *level* of that support, e.g. the proportion of scenarios for sub-rune-level characters which are likely to be published. Is this just because nobody is in a position to know? Which wouldn't surprise me, given that most of us are not Issaries employees :-). I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky