I really don't want to do this....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:04:53 +0100

In the continuing HW/RQ debate someone wrote:

>I have to agree that this is a danger but I can see no real way around this.
>Unless you reward people for their great descriptions (ie judging their
>'literary' merit) it would tend to a catalog of numbers and points. I think
>the advantage of HW is the brevity of the mechanism - if it took ages to 'do
>' the numbers (like it does in RQ) then no one will decribe every sword swing
>- - it would take to long. If every dramatic event has a time allocated to it
>dtermined by it's importance (as can be done in HW) then people will have
>more enthusiasm for it.

And that's the problem for me with HW as I last saw it. If you use the same bland mechanic for everything, not attempting to model the world's details in the slightest then there is no basis in the numbers for making the story interesting. You just don't *know* what's happening and you soon loose interest in keeping track of the events.

I like the easier character creation and upkeep of HW but for my money the central resolution mechanic is badly broken.

I will now go back to sleep....