Storm Bull as Psychiatry

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:12:18 EDT

> From: Sergio Mascarenhas de Almeida <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
> Subject: Re: Stereotyped Storm Bulls
>
> Simon and me agree on most things regarding Storm Bull, except on a point:
> I think that's wrong to qualify the Bullers as pathological violent thugs.

     skipping
> You look at Strom Bull as a type of social terapy. I just think that the
> Praxian society is not advanced enough to have such kind of organizations.
> IMHO only in more structured and advanced cultures do we find such
> organizations.

The RW model for the Praxians is usually thought to be American Plains Indian tribes. Among the Cheyenne, the Contrary Society may be thought to have been therapy for men who could not integrate properly into the non-warrior, non-hunter aspects of tribal life (it may also be true for the Contraries of other tribes, but I only read in depth about the Cheyenne in college Anthropology). They were supposed to have mighty battle magic (as long as they owned a Contrary bow and followed the rules [geases!] about doing everything backwards) but were too unpredictable in large battles to be useful except on the flanks. In short, they were rather like Humakti or, except for the lack of labelled "Chaos", (say it together) Storm Bulls.

"Primitive" societies seldom really are, except on a purely technological basis. If nothing else, they use all their time thinking about things rather than getting distracted doing them. Australian aborigines in the least habitable sections of the outback are supposed to have some of the most complex kinship rules seen by anthropologists, as an example.

Also, there is the question of whether the Storm Bull cult/society was native to Prax or were originally a Cattle Hsunchen or Kero Fini Uroxi army who moved to the Garden to support Genert's Army during the Greater Darkness Chaos Wars, and were forced to stay in the ex-Garden afterwards, but Monomythic speculation like that is beyond the scope of this thread. Still, it would be interesting to compare the Ralian Cattle Hsunchen before contacted by the Council to Praxian Storm Bulls, especially in the First Age.