(Everybody seems to be)

From: Al Harrison <aharriso_at_coe.neu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:19:56 -0400 (EDT)

jumping on one or another of Brian's points:

> Another point I should have expounded upon (but its difficult to always
> predict every facet of one's posts that will be nit-picked) is that the
> "imagined events" of each player and the GM are *all* better than any
> detailed narrative that would come from *anybody*. When the big bad monster
> fights the hero, everyone imagines it in the way that seems the "coolest" to
> them personally (the same applies to basket-weaving contests or other
> non-combat events :)...). It takes only a basic level of description to get
> the imagination-ball rolling for this...

Right, actually I'm gonna cede this one with a quibble. Clearly everyone imagines, based on their past experience, the "coolest" possible game session. Everyone has their own idea of what a bleeding wound, or a fire, or a troll, would look like through their character's eyes. Maybe a few people can imagine what those things would smell like.

But if we can persuade our fellow players and our GMs to _share_ a little of their experience-becoming-imagination, then all of a sudden everyone gains a new piece of imagery. Not to become maudlin here is difficult. Like most of the people on this list, I've read a lot and have been deeply affected by what I've read. Like most poets, I seize my reading both on the immediate level of the story and on the deeper level of the craft. I try to bring the same attitude to my gaming.

The story leaves a lot to the imagination - as it should. The craft exercises the imagination, and gives it a few more tools for building stories. RPGs should have both craft and story, in any setting; and a crucial portion of the craft is the _sharing_ of imagined narrative.

All IMNSHO.

Al Harrison
geocities.com/Paris/Tower/9143
harrisona_at_asme.org