Re: More on Nature and Chaos

From: Morgan Conrad <mpc_at_coastside.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:36:22 -0700

bjm10_at_cornell.edu writes:

(much good stuff deleted - loved the Christians vs. Death analogy, having recent read Adam, Eve, and the Serpent, a GREAT book)

>Actually, the problem is that you're unwilling to leave the matter
>unresolved, thus, you are actually taking a fairly particularistic,
>non-Tao approach. It doesn't MATTER what Chaos actually is in Glorantha.
>All that matters is how the characters' cultures tell them to react to it.
>Chaos is, ultimately, chaotic. Thus, no theory will be able to embrace
>it.

I agree 99%. But my impression of the early replies that tweaked my strong reaction :-) was that they were dogmatic absolute truths, not mere views of the Orlanthi. If I misunderstood, me bad.

Alex writes:

"whereas Umath comes
from pretty much the 'usual method', having two 'parents' within creation."

I used to read it that way, but have also read stories where he was born, and, after being born, created the air for himself. If this is literally true, I have no idea where the air came from. However, I am willing to admit that this may be a far too literalist reading. Sounds like a good thing for Gloranthan theologans to debate for centuries and kill each other over. :-)

Morgan

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #548