Social combat

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_telia.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:53:28 +0200

Alex F:

>Mikael:
>> in my experience, those players who prefer non-combatant characters do so
>> because they find RPG combats dull.
>
>- -.. and HW makes interpersonal conflicts using extended resolution
>'play out' like an RPG combat. See the potential problem, here?

No. The same players seem to find HW combats and other contests rather engaging.

If you find that social conflicts in HW play out like an RPG combat, all resisted/opposed kinds of rolls in RPGs would in that case play out like one round of combat. Combat in HW can also be resolved by an ability test (un-opposed roll) or simple contest (opposed roll). Thus combat in HW doesn't always play out like an RPG combat.

This argument itself plays out like an RPG combat, with attack/ parry/ counterattack.

Every kind of conflict can be 'played out' like combats precisely because they are conflicts. How would you play out a conflict in a non-combat manner?