Contrary Societies

From: Al Harrison <aharriso_at_coe.neu.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:44:05 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Sergio Mascarenhas de Almeida <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
> Subject: re: Storm Bull as Psychiatry
>
> I know almost nothing about American Plains Indians (other than what I
> picked in western movies). But I doubt that they would use, when describing
> aspects of their society, concepts like *Contrary*, *Society*, or
> *Therapy*. These seem to be western concepts imposed on Indians in order to
> make their mores understandable to western men.

I wouldn't say "concepts imposed" so much as "poor translations". Like many cultures, the Plains Indians are reported to have had a special group of people who ritualistically violated / reversed traditional customs, taboos, and roles. These people were generally considered to be outside normal society, and had their own special separate dwelling areas. In times of need (whether the need was for combat, religious guidance, whatever) the "contrary" group was called upon. Otherwise, ignored.

Similarly, the wise old aunts / cunning men of old European tribes were generally hermits living separately and visited only by those bringing tribute or seeking aid.

Sergio's right, this has nothing to do with "therapy" but a lot to do with cultures finding a comfortable place and useful role for those unable to fit in otherwise.

Al Harrison
geocities.com/Paris/Tower/9143
harrisona_at_asme.org

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #550