Boring Chaos: final post

From: Neil Smith <neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:53:25 +0000

> Neil, can you be clear as to whether you're objecting to the
> objective equation (which I maintain is Not So), or to the Orlanthi
> cultural belief? (Which is about as 'core' a Gloranthan fact as you're
> likely to come across.)

Neither.

My point of contention is how the Orlanthi cultural belief is sometimes portrayed as an objective fact, true in all Glorantha. The next time you, or anyone else, wants to introduce a chaotic baddy into an adventure, a myth, or anything else Gloranthan, stop for a moment and think whether you want a baddy, or a chaotic. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "Chaos = Evil", as has happened in the past.

> > So, remorseless killers that murder without a second thought
> > (Humakti) are OK, but village elders that sacrifice themselves so
> > their knowledge is not lost to the community (Thanatari) are evil?
>
> Who says Humakti are 'OK'? Not I. Thanatari are objectionable
> because in Orlanthi belief, their actions destroy victims' souls.

Yep. All Orlanthi think that Thanatari are objectionable, evil, etc. That leaves 15% that don't. What's to stop some clan, out in the boondocks, worshipping Thanatar as Lawspeaker and despising Lankhor Mhy?

My point is that _authors_ of Glorantha should ask themselves the question, and reflect on why they give the answer they do.

As it seems that we are completely agreeing with each other, I don't think I need to post on this subject again.

Thank you and goodnight,

Neil.

Dr Neil Smith                   email: neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk
CISMG, Cranfield University,                    phone: +44 1793 785900
RMCS, Shrivenham, Swindon, SN6 8LA, UK            fax: +44 1793 782753