Re: More on Nature and Chaos

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:40:14 +0100 (BST)

Morgan Conrad:
> But my impression of the early replies that tweaked my strong
> reaction :-) was that they were dogmatic absolute truths, not mere views of
> the Orlanthi. If I misunderstood, me bad.

Don't upbraid people too strongly for being 'good Orlanthi'. ;-) I think the Olranthi views are largely "correct" in cosmological terms, though as Simon and I have suggested, the particular 'spin' they but on it is all very culturally subject to (hot) dispute.

> Alex writes:
>
> "whereas Umath comes from pretty much the 'usual method', having
> two 'parents' within creation."

> I used to read it that way, but have also read stories where he was born,
> and, after being born, created the air for himself.

I think the normal interpretation of that it that he's creating the "space" for the 'air' -- i.e., he tears Sky and Earth apart, in which he and his children can live. (This is a very common theme of RW myth, esp. for people on the 'recieving end' -- solar cultures bitching about what a bummer this sort of thing is, that sort of thing.)

> Sounds like a good thing for Gloranthan theologans to debate for
> centuries and kill each other over. :-)

Indeed. Welcome to Lunar Tarsh, citizen... (I was tempted to say "Comrade Citizen" in memoria mori of the Great Red Star Bear conception of the Empire, but...)

Cheers,
Alex.