Re: Chaos. (Chaaaooossss?)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:50:48 +0100 (BST)

Nils has Ferguson Post Indigestion:
> If I had managed to decode this behemoth of a sentence
> I could have responded intelligentliy to it :-).

Oopth. ;-) Let me try again:

Define 'nature' to be 'the world as it was Created, and everything that arises directly Therefrom' (the Orlanthi would probably simply say 'the world', or 'Glorantha'). Define 'extra-cosmic' to be 'everything outside the world[*]'. Orlanthi say this is Chaos, or at best, 'safely presumed to be Chaos'.

Then everyone would more or less agree that those horrors identified by the Orlanthi as 'chaotic' have some sort of 'extra-cosmic' ultimate origin. But the Lunars and Kralori, etc, would say, "Well, that was a stupid set of definitions! Let me explain..." Mystical traditions say the 'extra-cosmic' is rather 'the transcendent'. Orlanthi then get a deep, deep worried, and somewhat perplexed frown, and then say "Illuminant! Kill!!". ;-)

> If I have managed to extract ome meaning you say that
> to an Orlanthi, chaos _is_ extra-cosmic because that's
> how they define chaos. I won't argue with that.

Well, no, I'm saying chaos is extra-cosmic because it is. ;-) (As in, a chaos horror is most 'nature', as acted on my a small part of 'chaos', whether way back in the Greater Darkness, or 10 minutes ago.)

> I'm just
> saying that beyond the different cultural trappings,
> there is a single layer of "reality". Since nobody
> knows the whole "truth", you get different interpretations
> of it. They are all right because nobody of them is.

You haven't demonstrated any basic contradiction on this between _any_ viewpoints yet, so I disgree that we need employ such handwaving at _this_ particular point. On the extra-cosmic nature of chaos, they're all right because they're all right. At some points the different viewpoints _do_ bottom-out into propositions that are not logically reconcilable, though, that much seems undeniable.

Cheers,
Alex.

([*] Possible caveat: except that which is knowable experiencially

      in Orlanthi ritual.)