Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #548

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:34:46 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 00:34:03 +0100 (BST)
> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
> Subject: Nuts to Narrative?
>
> *sigh* You were talking about 'narrative', unqualifiedly Brian,
> throughout all or most of that post. I'd go back and quote it back
> to you chapter and verse, except that your subject lines make the
> particular topic a tad hard to identify... :-/

Well, I use the Digest reply lines because I'm often responding to lots of people, and there's no coherent subject line to use when I do so...

I know what I was talking about, thanks much.

> Players contribute to this 'narrative' in the form by describing
> their actions. Or the intended effect of their actions, to be more
> specific. The GM gets to determine what the actual effect is, based
> on the _rules_, the _random roll_ (remember those), and the player's
> description. To characterise this as if the GM is solely responsible
> for creating the 'narrative', as if out of whole cloth, indeed, seems
> to me to be wholely unreasonable, and well worth 'jumping on'.

Except that what you've said I "characterized" is actually what you "interpreted"; face it, if I'd come out and said what you're implying, you wouldn't have needed to use the word "characterized" at all, right?

I'll be going into the same issue next post when I have to refute the extrapolation made by Simon that Stormbulls are Waha's military arm, which was not even close to what I said...ugh.

> > It takes only a basic level of description to get
> > the imagination-ball rolling for this...
>
> Then use whatever level of description works best for your group.
> What I find hard to accept that the best possible basis for such
> a description is a set of RQ sets, which seems to be your bottom line
> on just about everything.

Whoopee, another "extrapolation" of my position...tell you what, I'll just start posting single words, and you go ahead and extrapolate everything I know and feel on the subject. Ready? Monomyth... :)

I don't recall saying that RQ is the perfect system and could never be bettered...I've expressed opinions on facets of it compared to other games or types of games...I've also discussed concepts and ideas that are not hard-coded to particular games, like "storytold combat", etc.

Let's quit the bickering...I realize that your post was mostly in response to a perception that I was accusing you somehow by talking about "jumping on", but actually it was meant to be humorous and was more of an inside joke meant for others. Yes, I know I didn't put a smiley on it...I'm getting sort of tired of having to smiley and disclaimer every little thing to make sure nobody takes it the wrong way... :)