Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #549

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:27:37 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:05:51 +0100
> From: "Dougie" <dougiepunk_at_bigfoot.com>
> Subject: Beserkers are pychotic fruitcakes - and so say all of us
>
> Okay, since I seem to be being dragged into these debates more than usual at
> the mo, I'll throw in my tuppence re. Strmbulls. What certain people seem to
> forget is that Stotmbull is a cult of besekers. In the RW (eg. Norse and
> Celtic culturers) these people, who could shrug off all sense of personal
> danger and throw themselve at any number of enemy where, basically,
> psychotic.

Sartarite Stormbulls may tend more in the direction your headed, but the stereotype you describe above (berserkers, Norse/Celtic, etc.) does not drape well over Praxian tribesmen who are members of Stormbull.

What you need to examine is why you feel you have to categorize the Stormbull cult and everything it represents with one word that isn't even used in the oroignal cult writeup (note: Berserk, the spell does not equate to "Berserkers" being the best possible word to describe the entire cult).

You wouldn't do the same to other cults, I surmise.

> Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:38:54 +0100
> From: simonh_at_msi-uk.com (Simon Hibbs)
> Subject: Re Storm Bull
>
> Brian Tickler :
>
> >You forgot the "IMO" on that first sentence. The fact is, there's no
> >such thing as a "culturally acceptable home" for "pathologically violent
> >thugs"; these two don't equate. You might as well say that because some
> >people join the military due to their "Soldier of Fortune" outlook on
> >life that everyone in the military is a mass-murdering psycho.
>
> The Storm Bull cult is not the military wing of Waha.

Ummm, when I made the analogy above, I was referring to military in the RW...you know, like I did further down with Catholic priests? How this translates into your understanding that I'm saying that Stormbull is the miltary arm of Waha...*especially* given the discussions we've just waded through...well, its Befuddling :).

> <Meaningless and irrelevent rant deleted>
>
> Nice straw man Brian! It's a shame nobody actualy holds the views you're
> so keen to argue against.

Good one, Simon. You remove my point, "characterize" it as "meaningless and irrelevent" ranting, and then accuse *me* of putting up a straw man?

Simon, in response to Sergio:
> There may be a variety of reasons for joining Storm Bull, but ultimately
> the purpose of the cult is to perpetrate extreme levels of violence.
> To an extent psychotic is as psychotic does.

Sorry, but no matter what passages you choose to quote, the "ultimate purpose" of the cult is not to perpetrate extreme levels of violence. Take a poll if you have to, but I'm willing to bet that even those who are backing the "1-dimensional" Stormbull POV are not willing to take it to such an extreme...

> simple. Every now and then someone is born to a Praxian tribe who is
> foul tempered, violent and anti-social. These people tend to join Storm
> Bull, to the general relief of everyone else. He gets to be violent and
> unruloy, enemies of the praxian people ket killed and the tribe gets on
> with the important business of survival. That's realy about as sophisticated
> as it gets - i.e. not very.

A dull perspective. You can get a whole lot more out of Stormbull than that if you'd try.

Anyway, this thread seems to have run its course (at least for me), since I'm mostly having to defend myself in the last few posts, and not my opinions...