Rune Levels

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 10:07:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, The Glorantha Digest wrote:

> Actually, the 'rune level' default starting power appears to assume
> that the characters are their clan "most competent problem solvers",

"If the law presumes that, sir, then the law is a ass. If the law presumes that, sir, then the law is a bachelor! "Rune Level" is, in that case, overpowered, especially in light of the fact that the vast majority of gamers don't know squat about Glorantha. However, even with that problem it can be worked around. In my campaigns, the PCs usually have a reputation of being at least slightly crazy. Thus, some folks give 'em a wide berth, and others make sure that they've got lines of communication open to the next village, so *their* "Rune Levels" can be called in if necessary to take care of the lunatics if they get out of line.

Highly charismatic monks with a great deal of prestige could likewise function similarly to "rogue Rune Levels" in Russia. When they got severely over the line, it was not unknown to call in the services of a bishop to discipline them.

PS: Rasputin was never any monk of any kind--he was not under any form of Holy Orders. Therefore, he could not have been disciplined in this fashion.