Rune Levels

From: Dom Twist <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:13:19 +0100

>> Who will put the Rune Levels in their place? OTHER Rune Levels!
>> Likewise, "Rune Level" is not identical to "Baddest of the Badasses".
>> It's merely a 1st Dan. The Old Man can still slap the 1st Dans silly if
>> they need it.
>
>Actually, the 'rune level' default starting power appears to assume
>that the characters are their clan "most competent problem solvers",
>though not necessarily their clan's most titularly or politically
>highest status types. Which seems about right, since a 1000-strong
>clan is only reasonably going have on the order of a dozen or two
>'rune level' types therein.

Again this may be fine for those (all of us here) who have assimilated alot of Gloranthan material. HW (and any RPG) isnt aimed at us. We're the 'Hardcore Fan', the same type of people who buy the hardback of their favorite authors new novel rather than wait around for the softback. If Glorantha is to prosper and not just survive it has to attract NEW fans. Being one of 12 or so 'Big Cheeses' in your clan means you're pretty damn high up the food chain. Of course theirs still going to be people out there who can slap you silly, politicaly or physicaly. Thats ALLWAYS going to be true, even if the GM has to reach for a Dragon. But. Children are going to idolise you, neighbours come to you with their problems etc etc. Untill you, as a player, have got your head around the culture it's going to be a tad tricky to role-play this.

I agree that its much more challenging to play children who become adults as part of play. My own game runs that way because my players had zero knowledge of Glorantha before the game started although most were competent Role-Players. I could, and did, hand out copius background material. It 'sticks' better if players have to use that material session after session rather than just 'do their homework'. Another BIG plus is handing out or reading short, often humerous myths and Legends before or during each play session. The excellent 'Why Men have Beards" by Stephen Martin and "How Orlanth met Heler" by Erik Sieurin are great for this. If HW/Lunar/Orlanthi/Sartar books contain much of this I for one will be well pleased.

This doesnt mean I think that HW should start with players being born and Role-Play their way through childhood learning the mysteries of bladder control and solid food on their way to adulthood. I do worry about Rune Level characters being the assumed standard of starting character. Rune Level is about having a certain degree Mastery. for example being a Master Craftsman or skilled veteran Warrior. Certainly their will be MasterCraftsmen and true MASTERS of their art. But it would take a JourneyMan many years of hard work to be hailed as a Master of his craft and treated as such by his peers. I see the journeyman stage as the most fertile ground for players. Starting out about the same as everyone else and struggling to rise above this. Rune Level is a high status position, players should earn it.