HW vs. RQ, or not quite so ... (?)

From: NFranz197_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:29:30 EDT

Hi everybody,

I've been following the threads on this list very attentively and keenly for=20 a while now without saying anything myself, and I was probably even a bit=20 more attentive over the last two or three weeks. As a result, I have, for the moment, come to the following conclusions:

  1. I'm not going to add anything about Storm Bulls, 'cause none=20 have appeared in my game so far. My gaming group started=20 out at an obscure village in Safelster (I put them there!), and=20 they're currently at sea in the vicinity of Pasos. They have=20 never met a Storm Bull to date and SBs are not a priority of=20 mine just now.
  2. I'm not going to add any words of wisdom about the HW vs. RQ=20 debate, either, for these reasons:

I'm simply going to wait until I can actually hold a copy of the Hero Wars=20 boxed set in my own hands -- not a review, not a playtesting script, not=20 online information, but the big, basic, physical book. If I'm _very_ lucky I=20 should be able to get the set in November, and I definitely won't have read=20 all the way through it before Christmas. (So -- talk to me again next spring!)
I understand there's a bunch of you guys out there who have their own copies=20 of HW material from the playtesting sessions, but I am _not_ one of the luck= y=20
few.
Since I live in Germany, even if everything goes very smoothly for Issaries,=20 and even if I order direct from Chaosium / Issaries, I won't have a chance t= o=20
see what HW is really like before at least Nov. / Dec. '99. It's true that the wait is tough at this point, but I don't feel like=20 speculating too much.
However, to me it seems like a lot more fun to be playing and rooting for a=20 game that's in print and is being supported. My players only just sort of=20 roll their eyes each and every time I tell them about out-of-print RPG games=20 and supplements.

Here's what I can tell you for certain, though (I realize that some of this=20 may actually be a re-telling of things that I expressed earlier, or of=20 opinions already posted here by other people):

  1. If the introductory "boxed set" is going to have a basic overview of=20 Glorantha only as sketchy as the one in the Glorantha Book from the 1984=20 Deluxe Ed. RQ(3), I'll be downright disappointed. Judging from the advertising on the Issaries website, Greg and the guys are=20 really positive about the new basic set being _THE_ new standard introductio= n=20 to Glorantha.
  2. If, after all this wait, regional descriptions are at first limited to=20 such one-liners as
    "Prax is populated by nomads."
    or:
    "Ralios has many pleasant summers ...", I'm going to have a fit.
    In other words, bring on the good stuff, Issaries! I'd love to see big fat=20 detailed descriptions for a change.

By the way, when are we ever going to see an official map of an elf forest=20 like Tarinwood? One lame paragraph in "Elder Secrets" didn't do the trick fo= r=20
me ... there's gotta be something more IMHO. Alright, so I _can_ basically make up a lush forest the size of Bavaria by=20 myself, but still -- wouldn't it be worth doing for the actual publisher?

3) I don't quite agree with the people on this list who said RQ3 combat was=20 all just "doing the numbers", or would take away too much time during=20 game-play. I still like that combat system. It's not all that terrible or=20 mathematical or whatever. And strike ranks were a pretty neat invention, too= - -
Other RPG may have rolls for initiative, or the character with the higher=20 value in "speed" or "agility" goes first, but it's not like RQ3 lacks=20 anything major there. After a little practice fights in RQ3 yield a couple o= f=20
simple logics:

A small clumsy guy with a pole-type weapon will still be slower in a standar= d=20
situation than a 7-ft. tall agile person with an average-length. (Standard=20 situation meaning anything but surprise attacks, magically enhanced attacks,=20 attacks on a downed opponent, etc.)
Only if an opponent is very tall, but also very clumsy, this balances out to=20 some extent.

You've got good armour and can still move _and_ have a weapon ready with=20 which you're skilled -- you'll probably make it.

You've got good armour but it's weighing you down big-time -- well, think about a better solution, or don't risk long engagements!

You've got poor or no armour, but a 90% Dodge skill -- you're a=20 circus acrobat in my book! (And you'll probably make it.)

You've got poor or no armour, average hit points, average weapons and averag= e=20
ability -- you may still survive, but you don't stand a chance against a=20 battle-hardened broo, troll or even city guard, except for exceptionally goo= d=20
luck (i.e., Critical Hits).

Now, I can assure that during all the time I've GMed my friends in RQ3,=20 combat never took exceptionally long. Never ever! Most opponents (except major monsters) were down after only two MRs, and the=20 whole fight was pretty much decided after three or four MRs. By the way, my PCs are all still beginners and don't wear full plate or even=20 anything remotely resembling that. There's neither an adept sorcerer nor any=20 Rune-level PC in the group at this point. I don't see what all the fuss is about. You take your D100 and D20, roll the= m=20
at the same time -- voil=E0! Two easy tables for reference, is that a=20 super-complicated combat system? I don't think so. Think of all the separate tables you've got in Rolemaster, for instance. I=20 also like the RQ3 (BRP) method of handling combat better than one other=20 system I used several years ago, where one was given detailed numbers for=20 weapon damage (usually super-high and destructive), but no hit location for=20 human beings.
I must say that RQ(3) was in a lot of ways really ahead of its time because=20 its combat system already took a lot of things into account: weapon length, weapon balance (an axe is different from a sword, and all=20 that), a person's arm's length, a person's inborn agility and alertness --=20 everything is already laid out for you in the abstract form of the "strike=20 ranks".
When I ran GURPS, for example, I ended up giving a lot of characters the=20 Fast-Draw skill for their favourite weapon, because I just thought it's cool= - -=20
In RQ, I have no application for a skill like that, and I don't even miss it=20 during actual gameplay. I simply assume the skilled drawing of one's sword,=20 dagger, etc. has automatically taken place during those strike ranks that=20 have taken place before that character's earliest possible "active" strike=20 rank with his weapon. By the way, a lot of weapons would realistically never=20 be "Fast-Drawn", like quarterstaves or poleaxes.

But enough of my ramblings for this time, Cheers,
Norbert