Re: Chaos. (Chaaaooossss?)

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:16:44 +0100

 Nils Weinander :

>But, saying that chaos and its definition in itself is
>a universal constant is saying that the easterners are
>wrong, which goes against the basics of Gloranthan
>metaphysics.

I'm afraid I know very little about the easterners beliefs about chaos, so I can't realy comment. Care to elucidate?

> ..... I'm sure there is stuff in the
>East Isles that an Orlanthi would call chaotic. I
>don't think an Islander would agree that it is extra-
>cosmic. Since a chaos thingie, like a broo for example,
>is not the Ultimate it is part of the world to the
>Islander, including the chaotic part of it.

This may be simply because they have very little contact with chaos and so don't realy understand it. I agree that a philosophy such as mysticism is equaly as true as any other valid philosophy. That does not mean that everything they believe or think that they know is therefore true and complete. The Lunars also have a mystical philosophy and have a far more intimate understanding of chaos.

>I disagree again. I don't think you can make a parallell
>between extra-cosmic (as in Orlanthi chaos definition)
>and the transcendent (or ultimate or what you prefer
>to call it). The nasties called chaotic are very clearly
>_not_ transcendent.

Absolutely right, but they are easily confused because to understand them you need to understand similar concepts. Transcendence is a state beyond individuality and the concious sense of self, chaos annihiliates individuality and is the antithesis of 'Self'. These are not the same thing.

>Disagreement noted. I'll shut up before we start
>discussion objective vs subjective.

Agreed, let's just not go there.

Simon Hibbs