Re: Chaos. (Chaaaooossss?)

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:55:48 +0100 (BST)

Simon Hibbs:
> The Lunars also have a mystical philosophy
> and have a far more intimate understanding of chaos.

Nils, re: me:
> >Then everyone would more or less agree that those horrors identified
> >by the Orlanthi as 'chaotic' have some sort of 'extra-cosmic'
> >ultimate origin.

> I disagree. The East Islanders didn't even know of
> such a distinction until they heard visitors from
> the west talk of it.

That's not what I was saying. I explicitly said that this was an _Orlanthi_ cultural understanding, but that it's not inconsistent with the eastern viewpoint, in the (highly contrived) event that you can get them to agree on a set of common definitions and references.

> I'm sure there is stuff in the
> East Isles that an Orlanthi would call chaotic. I
> don't think an Islander would agree that it is extra-
> cosmic. Since a chaos thingie, like a broo for example,
> is not the Ultimate it is part of the world to the
> Islander, including the chaotic part of it.

Of course not, they're largely 'nature', as I've said numerous times. Thus they're not "transcendant beings" in any sense that would be remotely interesting from a Vithelan PoV. In the the unlikely event of an Orlanthi saying "Yes, but they're Chaotic because several Ages ago, an extra-cosmic thingy Mutuated them into their present, slimy state", your average East Islander, mystic or otherwise, would be bored to tears by this uninteresting and incredibly pedantic distinction he was trying to make. "So what? It's part of Nature _now_, isn't it, just an abused and broken part?" (Not unlike Morgan's virus viewpoint, as it were.) "And another thing, let's review your definition of 'extra-cosmic'..."

> I don't think you can make a parallell
> between extra-cosmic (as in Orlanthi chaos definition)
> and the transcendent (or ultimate or what you prefer
> to call it).

I'm sorry, but I just did. ;-)

Cheers,
Alex.