History of Garundyer (part one)

From: Nikk Effingham <eng7nje_at_arts-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:45:42 GMT

Hi,

I've been trying to get a bigger picture of Ralios, mainly in the north western portions, and discovered that there is scant little information about the world's (supposedly) most powerful Orlanthi HeroQuester. So, in order for me to build up a better idea of who and what Garundyer is and does (I doubt that he spends all of his time HeroQuesting and has a very real connection to Lankst) I have written a short history of my own.

This is the first portion. I've written it in a slightly note-esque form, it's no novel or piece of great fiction, but should help give you an ideas of what I conceive this figure as being.

I'd appreciate any comments you might have!

Note: I'm not too sure about the spelling of Harandos IronBrain, I don't have a source at hand to check.

HISTORY OF GARUNDYER PART ONE Garundyer was born in east Lankst, to a small, and not particulary notable, family called the Wych family. His father was called Garanwyn Wuch, he had been a promising Orlanthi thane and was prepared to participate in the FireWind rituals that the Kocholang family held every year to determine who would join the honoured ranks of the Kocholang family. However, a battle with the trolls of Lalia when Garanwyn raided their lands left him crippled in the left leg. Unable to be the hero and famous warrior he had hoped, he became depressed and departed to an Omrawyn - a no-man's land - in north eastern Lankst, on the very borders near Telmoria. He lived alone for nearly fifteen years, before marrying his wife, a devote worshipper of Chalana. Garanwyn hoped that his children could follow in his footsteps and make him proud. Indeed, a Wind Whisperer told him that his child would be Orlanth's personal favourite in the future.

Yet, when Garundyer's first child was born he, too, was crippled, his left leg was twisted. Obviously the damage inflicted upon Garanwyn was passed down to his son. He called his son Garundyer, and while he was dissappointed with his physical disability, he treated his son as well as any father would. Garundyer learnt how to fight form his father, and while he was good, his disability meant that he was never going to be the best. Garanwyn accussed the Wind Whisperer of lying, and twice the Whisperer made the same prophecy as before.

The day came when Garundyer was five, and was on the outskirts of Ormsland in a ravine, he was accompanying his friend Harandos, an older child who he spent much of his time with. From him Garundyer learnt a lot about the world about him, both natural and magical, for his friend was very informed upon such matters. He also sparred a lot with him, and played for hours at a time. Here, in this ravine, they disturbed a wyrm. The two fled as fast as possible, and as the wyrm chased them closer and closer, Garundyer ran faster and faster, until his leg gave out from beneath him. His friend fled, thinking Garundyer dead. The wyrm, however, was seeking only to be left alone - - and killing children does not make for a quiet life. Surprised by the child's bravery and fortitude, the wyrm took the injured child, covered in bruises and with a snapped bone, back to his lair. Amazed by the human's virtue (Garundyer never acted against the wyrm once the wyrm began to aid him) the draconic beast became quite enamoured with the youth, and taught him three secrets. Later in life, Gardunyer would return and defend the wyrm from plundering barbarians.

Garundyer returned to a very shocked villahe who he told his story to. He kept the secrets to himself.

Garundyer had a childhood nemesis, Owain, who was a few years older than him, and the two would vie for the favour of the Sword who protected the steads in that area. Garundyer, while more skillful, was hampered by his disability, whilst Owain was a good swordsman, but had none of the potential of Garundyer. About a week after the wyrm incident, the two got into a fight. Garundyer, still a child, challenged the eight year old to a duel - if Garundyer won he would have Owain's leg and if Owain won he would have Garundyer's renowned fighting arm. Using a secret from the wyrm Garundyer bonded them both to the deal. Garundyer won and from that day forth he was his father's dream given form. Owain, on the other hand, was left with Garundyer's crippled left leg, and was very bitter. Later, they would settle their differences, and Garundyer would rescue Owain's daughter from trolls, in return Owain became one of Garundyer's three Fighting Companions.

Until the age of eight Garundyer continued to learn the skills of Orlanth Four Weapons. By the age of eight and a half Garanwyn gave his son his magical spear, that could call lightning and pierce a dragon's hide. Garundyer lost when it snapped in a battle with a demon from the Three Shoal Pool some years later. Just before he was nine, the Telmori came and slaughtered the steads in that area, led by a shaman called Four-Paws-Speaks-Evil. This was shortly before the Hsunchen civil war broke out in Vustria. The shaman spared only the children.

When the Confederation of Jofrain met in Lankst, specifically to deal with Telmori raiders, the remaining children of the village, led by Garundyer, arrived. The Iron Council of the Confederation refused to speak to him and so Garundyer invaded the Confederation's chambers/ As they tried to throw the children out, Garundyer used his second secret from the wyrm, the Dragon Roar. A very stunned (and in some cases, permanently deafened) Iron Council listened to Garundyer's oaths of vengeance made in the name of all the survivors of those steads that were plundered.

A thane, named Rioneyth of the Pool, listened to the child and agreed to help him revenge his family. He gathered together his allies and went to revenge the deaths of Garundyer's friends and family. It took them three weeks to hunt down Four-Paws-Speaks-Evil, and Rioneyth slew him.

END OF PART ONE Nikk Effingham