HW stuff & pointless unreliable drivel

From: Michael O'Brien <obrien.michael.m_at_edumail.vic.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:10:21 +1000

G'day all,

HW stuff & pointless unreliable drivel

Danny Bourne sez:
>...the point that I'm trying to make is that it is possible to have a dull,
>'rulesy' combat situation in HW (or any other 'speaking' game), and a
>really dramatic and exciting time when you pull out that 01 and critical
>the Broo Priest to the head. It seems to me that the more you can get
>involved in the situation the better mental picture you conjure up which is
>just as much, if not more, down to the quality of the GM & adventure than
>whatever set of rules you happen to be using.

I agree 100%! If you can get your hands on it, check out Mark Morrison's excellent article "RQ: The Art of Staying Alive" in TotRM #2, which encapsulates beautifully the passion, excitement and desperation that you could get out a "dice-driven" combat - even using good old, clunky, now terribly-unfashionable RQ.

Cheers,

MOB PS Duncan sez:
>My in tray jumped from digest #557 to #559 without the customery
>pause for #558.
>
>Did this happen to others or just me?

 I didn't receive #558 either...

PPS Brian Tickler asked:
>Has anyone seen or heard of someone playing a Chalana Arroy Duck?

Yeah - my first ever RQ2 character, Anaximander, was a duck! Following an unfortunate encounter with the Maw of Chaos (after which our bastard GM turned him into a broo and inflicted him with 6 chaos features/13 reverse features) he joined Chalana Arroy as a penitent, looking for a way to wash away the curse and spent about years doing it, becoming a (RQ2) CA rune lord in the process. Believe me, roleplaying a duck-broo hybrid with the chaos feature "agonising screams when moving" quickly lost its zing, particularly when my buddies insisted I stay in character when getting up to go to the bathroom, pouring a drink, eating chips, etc...