Re: Chaos. (Chaaaooossss?)

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:46:15 +0100

>Sorry to be dense, but I don't see how the extra-cosmic
>explanation is consistent with the eastern viewpoint.
>Could you explain in terms of the three measures for
>example how "chaos" is extra-cosmic?
>
>Unless what you've been saying all along is that to
>the Orlanthi "chaos" is extra-cosmic because there's
>no room for it in their concept of cosmos, while the
>East Islanders don't understand becaus they define
>cosmos differently? If that's the case, I have been
>agreeing withou being astute enough to realize it.

Absolutely, I think that's the core of the problem.

Orlanthi don't know anything about transcendence. In their terms it's meaningless. Likewise there is no way to express the Orlanthi view of chaos in East Isles terms. Their axiomatic assumptions about the universe are different.

The East Islanders probably have the same problem with the Oralnthis view of chaos as some people on this list. "After all, chaos is in the world so it must surely be part of it?" This is a paradox that cannot be readily solved or explained. I believe such paradoxes can be found in each of the major philosophies. These paradoxes do not disprove the philosphies that give rise to them, but are evidence that they are not complete.

Simon Hibbs