Entropy

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:52:47 +0200

Nick Brooke:

> > Those portions of the universe which were not included in this
> > agreement have no existence in this new world. This is Entropy.
>
> I don't really agree with this.

Time notwithstanding, I'll stand by this statement; with the proviso that Gloranthan Entropy *might* be basically unlike RW entropy.

We witness structure T (post Dawn Glorantha, ruled by Time) resulting from the breakdown of structure Y (Orlanth kills Yelm, etc.).

Entropy

> A "synthesis of entropy and existence", IIRC.

yup!

> > Before the Compromise, but after the appearance of the Devil, there
> > was precious _little_ difference between Death and Annihilation.
>
> Dunno about that.

hmmm. Death resulted in permanent loss of the individual, until this was changed by the LBQ? From the POV of a mundane inhabitant of Chaos Age Glorantha, I see little difference in perception.

But arguing about this is ultimately pointless ...

> > So yes, maybe the Devil *was* just another god, albeit a very
> > powerful, and a very hostile and destructive one.
>
> Maybe atomic weapons *are* just another kind of bomb, albeit a very
> powerful and destructive one?

Quite !! :-)

> I think the terrifying, unearthly horror of the Devil's violation of
> Glorantha is only lessened if we describe it as "just another god".

You're mostly right.

In-game, I would certainly never so belittle the Devil!

Unless I wanted to run a CoC-ish Gloranthan campaign, which led to Dire and Drastic Revelations about the ultimate Horror of Existence - -..
But then, that would be a deliberate confusion of genres, wouldn't it?

cheers,

Julian