Bears

From: Andrew Behan <andrew_at_RedBrick.DCU.IE>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:37:37 +0100 (BST)

> Acknowledging a tamed or subdued Orlanth, one subservient to the Red
> Goddess (as the Sylilans do with their myths of the taming of the Star
> Bear by Orogeria), might well be compatible with the Lunar Way.

Has this been written up officially? I thought the Star Bear story related to Arakang and Orogeria and came from Arir. Please, please explain.

                        Andrew

        "This inexact science is known as Djinnetic
         Engineering, on account of being not unlike
         letting a rabid genie out of a bottle."

                               Jeff Noon, Automated Alice

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, The Glorantha Digest wrote:

> [...]
> One suspects that the reason the TOTRM crew shut down operations is that
> they and the Seattle Collective are the new sweatshops where Gloranthan
> material will be cranked out in the future...
> (\unfounded rumor-mongering)
>
> C - The market today does respond to innovation.
>
> It may be a surprise to some, but the vanguard of the new designers in the
> last several years are ex-Glorantha Geeks, to a great extent. Mark
> Rein-Hagen, Johnathan Tweet, Robin Laws (obviously) and others came into
> the market as individuals that were fascinated by the possibilities of
> Glorantha, and it seems that many of them were first opened up to the
> possibilities that gaming had through Glorantha.
>
> The impact of this generation of designers is still reverberating.
> Roleplaying is different after Vampire, even if it is not better, as some
> had hoped.
>
> With the exception of the noble failure of Everway, no one has attempted
> real innovation in fantasy RPGs (exception: L5R). TSR, despite recent
> stumbles, is still the big boy. So the market seems like it should be
> there. Glorantha and Hero Wars may be the Next Big Hit, the Vt:M of
> Fantasy RPGs.
>
> Topic # 4 - Hero Wars Combat
>
> Yeah, it could get boring quickly. That's just my personal assessment
> after two playtests, by the way. But combat is not why I liked RQ,
> Glorantha is the reason I liked RQ.
>
> I was one of those who, when I acquired Cults of Prax (way back when),
> looked in the back, saw the Tribal table, and wondered, "Gee, I wish they
> had put more in about the tribes. All I know about now is the religious
> stuff..." I personally would have never considered running a campaign in
> Prax until the Prax stuff in TOTRM and Drastic: Prax came out.
>
> When I run Hero Wars in the future, I will simply run fewer combats, and
> stage them really well, so they are memorable enough to overcome the
> blandness of HW combat. And I will have rules for adjudicating conflicts
> in a combat-style manner, so things will hopefully be as exciting as before.
>
> Topic # 4 - Scenario books
>
> It is axiom that good adventures are hard to write. RQ had better scenarios
> than _anybody_ in the industry, with the single exception of Call of
> Cthulhu. This was undeniably part of the appeal of the old line, one that I
> hope finds a place in the new line, and not just on a website.
>
> This does not mean they will be like the old scenarios. The best scenario
> in the Borderlands pack was not the big dungeon crawl, but the
> Morokanth/Agimori conflict that the players were called upon to adjudicate.
>
> It may be to keep up with the 'book-a-month' marketing strategy, books
> dedicated to scenarios may find a place. If they are as excellent as
> material by a certain MOB, I am certain that I would buy them.
>
> Enough for now,
>

> Doyle Wayne Ramos-Tavener
>

> It is not reasonable to suppose that Aristotle knew the number of the Elect.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #565